Thursday, September 10, 2009

Some quotes are funny 'cause they're insightful.

And others are funny 'cause they're just plain dumb. Here are some sports quotes under that category.

--

"I've had to overcome a lot of diversity."
-- Cavaliers forward Drew Gooden on the ups and downs of his NBA career

"The only thing that keeps this organization from being recognized as one of the finest in baseball is wins and losses at the major league level."
-- Devil Rays GM Chuck Lamar on his team

"It's a humbling thing being humble."
-- Former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett on seeing his stock drop as the 2005 NFL draft was approaching. The Broncos selected Clarett in the third round but eventually released him

"So far, the hardest part has been trying to come up with something that rhymes with Urlacher."
-- Country music star Tim McGraw, on reworking the lyrics to his hit I Like It, I Love It to coincide with the Monday Night Football halftime highlight reel

"Because there are no fours."
-- NBA long-range gunner Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"Therapy can be a good thing; it can be therapeutic."
-- Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez on the benefits of seeing a, well, therapist

"My wiener has never been so exhausted."
-- NASCAR's Kurt Busch after outlasting three other drivers to win the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile race at Lowe's Motor Speedway

"Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw."
-Ron Atkinson

"I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk

"Like they say, it ain't over till the fat guy swings."
-Phillies catcher Darren Daulton on stocky first baseman John Kruk.

"I'm rich. What am I supposed to do, hide it?"
-Detroit Tiger Lou Whitaker, arriving in a stretch limo for a players' union meeting during the 1994 baseball strike.

"I dunno. I never smoked any Astroturf."
-Tug McGraw, asked whether he preferred grass or Astroturf

"I told [GM] Roland Hemond to go out and get me a big name pitcher. He said, 'Dave Wehrmeister's got 11 letters. Is that a big enough name for you ?'"
-Eddie Eichorn, White Sox owner

"Raise the urinals."
-Darrel Chaney on how management could keep the Braves on their toes

"The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play."
-Reggie Jackson

--

Credit: Sports Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment